mere2paise

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

End of an era.


The scoreboard said I lost today, but what it doesn't say is what it is I have found. And over the last 21 years, I have found loyalty. You have pulled for me on the court and also in life. I've found inspiration. You have willed me to succeed sometimes even in my lowest moments. And I've found generosity. You have given me your shoulders to stand on to reach for my dreams, dreams I could have never reached without you. Over the last 21 years, I have found you and I will take you and the memory of you with me for the rest of my life. Thank you.
- Andre Agassi. September 3, 2006

6 Comments:

Blogger mtalpz said...

I felt the same way see Sampras retire...the way i feel about agassi..glad we are a part of the generation where we could see AA play..what a player he was!

12 September, 2006 15:11  
Blogger Praveer said...

@mtalpz: it is the dream of every sportsman to go out on top, or at least have a memorable exit. sampras and agassi were lucky to do so, hence we remember them even more fondly.

for the present, you can enjoy the federer-nadal rivalry

13 September, 2006 20:35  
Blogger SAL said...

I felt that wen I heard Stephen Edberg wouldnt play anymore. Never felt that again for anyone else!

Mayb Federer some day, mayb not!

14 September, 2006 02:01  
Blogger Praveer said...

@sal: what about Steffi Graf?

14 September, 2006 20:33  
Blogger SAL said...

was talking about Male players.

When Steffi Graf declared retirement, was sad all day :-(
Have newspaper cuttings from that day, describing Steffi's persona, achievements, accolades, etc. She was & is & will always be a legend :-)

I can go on & on & on about her ;)

15 September, 2006 13:29  
Blogger Praveer said...

@sal: Had heard a story once. When stiffi was very small, her dad used to make her practice hitting tennis balls. For every 500 consecutive that she hit accurately, she used to get a candy bar.

Whether true or not, this just shows us the amount of effort one needs to put in to be a champion. If we are willing to replicate that effort in our jobs, then even we would become as successful.

16 September, 2006 23:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home